Google.com strange symbols

Share

Just recently after a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop I noticed that the default language in Firefox for my Google.com account had somehow been changed to Afrikaans. Even changing the language and saving my settings would in the end result in the buttons being unreadable to me once again.
So I did a little digging and it turns out Firefox Sync is the culprit in this case. A bug has already been filed so here is a workaround for those of you who can’t wait.

Workaround:

Open Firefox and go to

about:config

Read the warning and proceed if you dare.
Search for

intl.accept_languages

and set the value to

en-us, en

Restart Firefox and everything should be back to normal.

Share
This entry was posted in Applications and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.